A Day Without Technology

By: Sugee Kim

During my Day Without Technology, I realized two things. The first one was that technology, such as using my phone, camera, and computer were engrained into my daily schedule so much to the point that I had to completely skip certain parts of my morning routine yesterday. And secondly, that living without technology is definitely possible; it was like someone quitting cigarettes or a hard to quit habit. You have to get over the three-day, or in this case, the three-hour hump and it was all a breeze from there. 
I woke up and still half-asleep, automatically rolled over to reach for my phone, as i do every morning. Not feeling or seeing my phone plugged in next to my bed, it took me about ten whole seconds to get past my first panicked concern that I had lost my phone and that today, the Day Without Technology, may be a long day. 
Not being able to go on Twitter or check my daily Daily Beast Cheat Sheet left me feeling as if I had missed out on a huge newsworthy event that had occured overnight. DId a natural disaster occur somewhere? Who was the center of attention this morning? What was Obama/Romney up to? What breathe taking photos were on the TIME’s site this morning? 
It was an odd but certainly not an unfamiliar feeling; similar to a drought or fast, I was craving to know the news of the world. My parents, during family vacations, don’t allow us to use phone during breakfast. Still, all of us usually get up early and check email, twitter, newspapers, and facebook before gathering around the no-phones-allowed breakfast table. Today was a different story. 
I decided to take my day off from school, work, and technology to go for a long run. I headed out to the Hudson River, Pier 84. All I heard during my run was the sound of my own panted breathe and no music. I wondered what all of the other runners beside me were listening too. 
After laundry, lunch, and some light school reading, I not only forgot to automatically reach for my phone whenever I heard a vibrating alert, but I started to enjoy that I was in some ways, off the grid. 
There was no way to get in contact with me unless we had either made plans to meet up earlier, or had bumped into each other coincidentally. I spent the rest of my day in, reading and cleaning my room. I went to dinner with friends and didn’t even mention that i had gone the entire day without technology. But when I got back to my apartment and the clock hit 12:01 A.M., I was already typing “www.nytimes.com”, and man, did it feel good.  


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s